Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Captain's Continued Adventures

The Captain continues his South Dakota adventures with the bagging of two peaks (Medicine and Copper Mountains) and panning for gold!

I originally struck out on my own...



but soon had followers. Kids are interesting things. I'm amazed how their parents do not know what's cool anymore. I go fossil hunting, agate hunting, mountain climbing, motorcycle riding and ironically wherever I go, kids inevitably follow and start interrogating me about what I'm doing. Without fail they then run to their mother and ask, "MOM! MOM! MOM! Can we PLEEEEEEEASE go panning for gold?"

Sure enough mom, who forgot what it was like to be a child, says, "No, we're going to church and then summer school and then we're going to the library where you can read a good book."



In any case, the young future adventurer above was curious about how one pans for gold. Your Captain was successful in that he found TWO puny specks of gold. I am now officially rich.

This is Medicine Peak.



This is Copper Peak


Reverse order here.



More to come on my "boring" vacation in a "boring, fly-over" state.

7 comments:

ShreyasKaptan said...

Well... Rich in the Recession! Congratulations :D

Jaime Roberto said...

The parents can't be too bad if they brought the kids out to the Black Hills.

Anonymous said...

Hrmph, putting Natasha on it is no fair, she could be on a flat field,and most of the guys would be going: GREAT vacation.

Hahahahah.

Liberista said...

visibility 100%

EscapistArt said...

Hey Captain, very scenic - the flyover states are interesting to travel in, and its amazing to see the difference in real estate/living costs (plus I get the impression that people are less stressed in flyover land, being less crowded and all)

Anonymous said...

My father, gray of hair and long of beard, looks the picture of the prospector - and pans at every opportunity. The first time he ever saw a fleck of gold in a pan, it was in the pan of a kid who came up with his mother out of curiosity and asked if he could try. (And borrowed my father's pan.)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great place! On the freaky side, you look like my daughter`s kindergarten teacher.
More pics of Natasha, would also be nice.