Friday, November 11, 2011

I Put the "Jew" In "Jujutsu"

As I may or may not have mentioned, your Captain has been participating in Jujitsu. However, since your Captain (unbeknownst to him until he was 21) is "technically" a Jew, I prefer to call it:

"Jewjitsu."

*the technicality is that his mother's mother's mother was a Jew and something about Matriarchical lineage that your Captain today has yet to fully understand. Regardless, I just run with the free reign to cut Jewish jokes.


Regardless, I STRONGLY recommend jujitsu if you have the time. Not just because it is (thus far as I can find) the only martial art that trains you for real fighting, but the work out and damage it does to your body cannot be matched.

To tender proof (and I am not doing this to "brag" or what have you, I'm doing this sincerely because it will show you what you can expect) here's your Captain after a night of sparing against a variety of jujitsu students:



I did not contract some kind of "disease" or "measles." Those are just the bruises I incurred from 30 minutes of sparing. Apparently those will go away when all of that turns from fat to muscle.

In any case, consider "Jew"jitsu if you are looking for a serious work out.

Also consider fish shower curtains because those are pretty kick ass too.

14 comments:

Amateur Strategist said...

I have a question.

Do you switch the wrist watch from arm to arm occasionally?

I think I'm the only one who does that.

Hot Sam said...

I thought Krav Maga was JewJitsu.

Maybe you should get a job selling cosmetics made from Dead Sea sand at mall kiosks.

Captain Capitalism said...

Uh, no, I think it's pretty much on the left the entire time. I don't do the Alex P Keaton.

Odds said...

Jujitsu's pretty solid. Is this Brazilian or Japanese style? I've done some BJJ here and there, mostly just messing around in the gym where I go to box, and got the feeling that style was more "competitive" than practical. Still fun as hell though.

Grappling styles do have the advantage that you can go near full-strength in practice, something I noticed when I stopped doing high school wrestling and switched to boxing. Stick with it, once you get fully used to the beatdown, it's a pretty sweet feeling.

Amateur Strategist said...

Ah, didn't know Alex P. Keaton did that (Family ties).

I'm now theorizing that your original "Consult the Captain" ad was mirrored to make you face inward, giving your blog a more psychological appeal then.

Marty said...

A good sparring partner won't bruise you like that. After you do it for a few months/years you'll also be able to avoid getting nicked up.

Slobodan Blazeski said...

Great sport , started playing with BJJ from last year , now I'm so busy that I'm missed a month, but getting back soon.

Anonymous said...

Please tell us that isn't your shower curtain but the one at the dojo!

grerp said...

A man who goes to my church highly recommends Krav Maga. This has been described to me as Israeli street fighting. I might take a basic class in Krav Maga female self defense in January with his wife.

Interesting shower curtain. Love how the fish in the mirror is really focusing on the camera.

Pat Sullivan said...

Check out this video from Ezra Levant called; Putting The Jew Into Judo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WrTTVLohg8o

It was regarding a story out of England. Someone complained to the government, that hearing the song Kung Fu Fighting playing in a pub, was a racist act. Anyways, a funny video.
I will also admit, back in the 70s I liked the song Kung Fu Fighting.

Anonymous said...

The women are the worst. They have small, sharp bones and they don't need a lot of muscle to inflict major pain and bruising. And, they are maddeningly - infuriatingly - fast. I had to stop sparring with them because they made me so goddamned mad I couldn't defend myself and I wanted to kill them!

After that come the little men. They have something to prove and they will be happy to kill you in order to do it. They don't understand that sparring is about practice and muscle memory and not combat.

My self defense now consists of an HK USP Tactical in .45ACP, and an AR15. Leave me alone, and nobody gets hurt!

Anonymous said...

If you want bruises, try Kunst De Fechtens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a legit style.

I've done karate for a few years now. and I got lots of bruises on my face and stomach when I started.

After a few years, you get to inflict the bruises!

Paul said...

Way ahead of you Capn', my kids are in their fifth year of training in BJJ every day (it's their after-school program and summer camp). They also mix in some Muay Thai (which is what I have been doing for a bit now).

My daughter has just turned 12 and is already a blue belt and a swimmer; she can kick like a mule. She has just expressed an interest in dating, so I think the timing's just about right.